Easy egg muffins
Let me start by acknowledging it's been a long time since you've heard from me. I've had some major changes in my life and I promise to fill you in on some of the details in a future post.
I learned about this super-simple snack recipe from a friend. He and his wife have been making these delicious egg muffins — he calls them "Egg Pucks" (#HockeyDad) — and their kids love them!
Last night I finally made some and they did not disappoint!
I made three variations and brought them to work this morning to share with my coworkers.
The loaded egg muffins were the first to go — they had all the good stuff: red and yellow pepper, yellow onion and mushrooms. I made a few turkey bacon, egg and cheese ones, and then made two without cheese as a dairy-free option.
Prep: 10–30 minutes (depending on additional ingredients)
Bake: 12–15 minutes per batch
Oven: 400 degrees
Makes: 12 egg muffins
Bakeware: muffin tin
- 12 large eggs
- 12 ounces of turkey bacon
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sautéed diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup sautéed mushrooms
1. Use a little olive oil in your muffin tin so the eggs don't stick to the sides. You could use a silicone basting brush to make sure the muffin compartments are coated completely.
2. Cut strips of turkey bacon in half and use two pieces to make an X in each cup of the muffin tin. I used turkey bacon from ALDI.
3. Crack one egg on top of each X and then poke the yolk with a fork to lightly scramble the egg.
4. Add a little sea salt and black pepper.
5. Sprinkle onions, peppers and mushrooms on each egg.
6. Top with some shredded mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake in 400 degrees oven for 12–15 minutes.
8. Cool for 5 minutes before removing the egg muffins from the tin. Enjoy!
Allow leftovers to cool and then refrigerate them.
Easy morning snack
I'm looking forward to having these available as a super-quick morning snack for my kiddos (ages 6, 3 and 3).
To reheat the egg muffins, simply microwave for one minute (in two 30-second bursts). That's it!
Please tell me when you try out this recipe — I'd love to know what veggies you add into yours and which recipe variation your kiddos prefer.
You should be able to search your app for these meals for easy food tracking:
- Egg muffin w/turkey bacon (no dairy)
- Egg muffin w/turkey bacon & mozzarella cheese
- Egg muffin w/turkey bacon, peppers, onions, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese
This blog is truthful and based on personal experience with the products or items mentioned. It doesn't have sponsors, and no one paid to receive positive reviews of their products. All of the links provided are for your convenience and are not "affiliate links" — Valerie doesn't receive payment or kickbacks if people purchase products based on her recommendations.
Valerie Moe is the Creative Director for Minnesota Parent
magazine. She lives in Bloomington with her 6-year-old daughter, Olivia, and 3-year-old twins, Jacob and Seraphina. You can contact her directly here.